Wednesday 28 June 2017

A Farewell Tribute

You have  done well. That you sag now stands testimony for the way you have served me, for you sag, having borne the weight of my words, having served as the bowl to carry what I poured out.

Your every tiny feature rests in my heart, be it a tiny misalignment of the frame that holds you in place or a creak on the wood at your back that faces the wall behind you, and I love you whole - I may boldly say so, for I have truly known you.

You might not possess a mouth to speak from, but they way you lay in my arms when I held you alongside my marker pen speaks more words than I could ever write upon you.. And what better way to show your love for me than retaining stains of marker ink that are ghosts of poetry that I wrote, photographed and forgot countless times.

I prepare to leave this haven now, in search of another, but will I ever find a companion such as you? And yet I turn away, fighting to hold the tears that brim in my eyes, with an image of your cleaned face that refuses to let go of the faded ink that adores it - a critter which is no longer untouched, for it has known the touch of my love. And I smile to myself, for I know now, that I have paid you my return in full, for your image shall shine clearer in my head and heart than my words have ever shone upon you. Perhaps love of the most intimate kind is a contest where each hopes to love the other more. And the greatest joy comes from losing. I digress, but don't you know it is an attempt to ease the pain that fills me? To gulp down the lump that fills my throat and hold my shaking self, in a vain attempt to contain my grief?

I may have had many a muse, but without you, would it have had any use?

You were my mother, my brother, a true friend who made me speak endlessly at times when I've felt to choked to be able to utter any word. You saw through me in a way I never could see through you, and proved a true support to my ailing shoulder on my darkest nights.

And you did even more. You let me see my own thoughts in ways I could never have, but for you. You lay out my life in a way that only you could have, ridding me of the most complex difficulties of my life, suggesting solutions with such clarity that I could have never come up with, in solitude. You filled my day and reminded me of those tiny details that even I didn't care for, pointing out to me, time and again, that my life was more important than I'd ever considered it to be.

My poetry began in this campus, and might end here, and you have perhaps seen the last of it, cradling its heavy head upon your large lap, supporting it with your even larger heart as it breathed its last words, coughing them up on your heavenly self, while I lay like a fool, oblivious to the misfortune that fell upon my pen.

I now look away, my spirit as blank as I see you to be from this distance, for where can words come, when you cease to exist in my life?

11:01pm, 28.6.2017.
A goodbye to the whiteboard in my hostel room.


1 comment:

Seine Wörter

Sein Wörter sind ja schön, Aber liebe sie nicht zu sehr, Er sagt wie es ist richtig, Aber es ist nur sein Meinung, Glaub nicht die Wörte...